How to protect the environment?
1. On an individual level
a) Save energy:
- Switch off the light when you leave the room.
- Turn off the TV when you don’t watch it.
- Turn off the radio when you don’t listen to it.
- Turn off your computer when you don’t use it.
- Use energy saving light bulbs.
b) Save water:
- Take a quick shower instead of a bath.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
- Let a dishwasher wash your dishes – it uses less water.
- Collect rainwater – ideal for plants.
c) Save trees:
- Use both sides of paper for writing or drawing
- Do not makebonfiresin the forestifthere is nodesignated place
- Make sure you do not waste space on a piece of paper
d) Take care of cleanliness around you:
- Throw rubbish into a trash bin
- Clean up after your dog when you take it for a walk
- Sort rubbish.
- Don’t litter the streets.
e) Do the smart shopping:
- Pay attention to what you buy - is it made of recyclable materials?
- Buy only what you need.
- Take your own shopping bag instead of using plastic carrier bags.
- Choose glass packaging instead of plastic one.
f) Think about the stuff you throw away:
- Do not throw away your toys or clothes you don’t use any more
– they may be useful for someone else.
- Compost organic waste (for high quality organic fertilizer).
g) Do not pollute the environment with exhaust fumes:
- Walk or cycle to school rather than going by car.
- Share a car – 4 people in a car rather than 4 separate cars.
- Use public transport.
- Use unleaded petrol.
h) Do not forget about the environment:
- Talk to your family members about different ways of protecting the environment.
2. On a national level
- Support reasonablemanagement of the environment.
- Support the the government’s pro-ecological policies.
- The government should take advantage of renewable sources of energy.
- More money should be spent on eco-friendly technologies (e.g. in a car or heating industry).
- There should be more recycling power plants built.
- People should be encouraged not to use coal to heat houses.
- There should be more city bikes.
- More focus on environment education at school from a very early age.
- Protect endangered species in nature reserves.
- Educate the community in the field of waste collection
- Management ofenvironmental resourcesin accordance with theprinciple of sustainable development.
- Counteract pollution.
- Createnational parks andmonuments of nature.
2. On an international level
- There should be management ofenvironmental resourcesin accordance with theprinciple of sustainable development.
- Countries should cooperate to counteract air pollution or water contamination.
- Createnational parks and nature reserves
- Share knowledge and the latest technological devices to save the environment.
- Make sure the standards and regulations are followed by all the countries.
- Introduce common laws concerning the use of alternative sources of energy.